Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Tom Sawyer's Island...?"

Being passholders for years, our kids have not been on some attractions for a long time - even years for certain ones. Winnie The Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventure, Ellen's Universe Of Energy, Voyage of the Little Mermaid and a few others are attractions that have been done and there hasn't been much of an outcry to get back on them. One that both have been on - but it's been at least 4 years since the last time - is Tom Sawyer's Island at the Magic Kingdom.



So a few weeks ago, we took them to the Island because it was something "new" - something they haven't done in a really long time. Let me tell you - they LOVED it. LOVED it. They've been begging to go back ever since.

Well, I must admit that I probably never gave Tom's island much of a chance. First, it's a pain to get to. Second, with its trees and vegetation, it gets HOT. And they don't even have their quick service restaurant open any more (which is too bad - there's picnic tables and other great spots to eat at on the island). It probably didn't help that I was never much of a fan of Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn and company. Just a series of books and stories that as a kid I never took much interest in. So from a theme standpoint, I guess I just never gave it a second thought. So the thought of heading out there and spending an untold amount of time was not appealing.

I was wrong, and I admit it. Tom Sawyer's Island is really pretty cool. It's old school Disney, and a great place to explore. Of course, it's not the most technologically advanced attraction in WDW. And like I said, I wish Aunt Polly's food stand was still open.

The barrel bridge, the fort, the caves, the mines, the windmill and more make this a fun venture. Some great views of the vistas of Magic Kingdom including Big Thunder Mountain, a unique view of The Haunted Mansion, Frontierland and the Castle are also present from various vantage points around the island..

Now beware - the terrain on the island is old school. Very narrow paths, steeply graded and crooked walkways, dark spaces where it's hard to see in front of you and other obstacles are present. Personally, I love all of that - makes it a very different place to be and explore. However, some of those things can be very challenging to some people, especially those in wheelchairs and strollers. And I also admit the theming is actually very cool. Once again, Disney places you in that time period with their attention to detail. Some of it is absolutely wonderful.

So without further ado, here are some photos of our experiences at Tom Sawyer's Island...


The spooooooooky cave face! Ooooooooh!
OK, it's actually pretty cool.


The stables...


The Fort...the kids love this place. Lots of little spots to run and hide.


Love the view of the Mansion from here...


Gotta love a good old barrel bridge.


Cannons and guns to fire from high up on the Fort.
No wonder the kids love it.

1 comment:

  1. We haven't been on the Island (it sounds so LOST-like, LOL) since my now 11yo son was either 4 or 6. He loved it then. I hope to take my almost 4yo son over on our October trip.

    Hmmmm - Is there anything to stop you (me/us/anyone) from getting food and taking it over to eat on the Island? Can you take food/drinks on the raft? (I guess it would work if you bring your food in anyway, in a backpack.)

    ReplyDelete